Alimera’s management team has a proven track record of product discovery, development and revenue growth in the ophthalmic pharmaceutical industry. Prior to founding Alimera, many members of the management team established CIBA Vision Ophthalmics, later Novartis Ophthalmics, the ophthalmic pharmaceutical arm of Novartis Corporation.
- Launched Soothe®, an over-the-counter (OTC) product that provides unique relief to sufferers of dry eye
- Gained FDA NDA approval for an Rx-to-OTC switch anti-allergy product (now marketed by Bausch and Lomb as Alaway® – ketotifen fumarate ophthalmic solution)
- Completed two Phase 3 clinical trials with ILUVIEN® studying the long-term delivery of a low dose of a steroid for the treatment of diabetic macular edema
- ILUVIEN has received FDA approval in the United States for the treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME) in patients who have been previously treated with a course of corticosteroids and did not have a clinically significant rise in intraocular pressure.
- ILUVIEN has also been granted marketing authorizations in Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom as “ILUVIEN® 190 micrograms intravitreal implant in applicator”, for the treatment of vision impairment associated with chronic diabetic macular edema (DME) considered insufficiently responsive to available therapies.Learn More >>
- Developed a pipeline for the future success of Alimera Sciences
The executive team’s operational experience, regulatory expertise, clinical knowledge and industry relationships have coalesced into immediate success and built the foundation for a strong future.
- Dan Myers, Chief Executive Officer
- Philip Ashman, Senior Vice President and European Managing Director
- Rick Eiswirth, President and Chief Financial Officer
- Ken Green, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer
- Dave Holland, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Chief Executive Officer
Dan Myers is one of our co-founders and has served as our Chief Executive Officer and as a director since the founding of our Company in 2003. Before founding our Company, Mr. Myers was an initial employee of Novartis Ophthalmics (formerly CIBA Vision Ophthalmics) and served as its Vice President of Sales and Marketing from 1991 to 1997 and as President from 1997 to 2003. Mr. Myers holds a B.S. in Industrial Management from Georgia Institute of Technology. Mr. Myers has over 33 years of ophthalmic pharmaceutical experience, including over 19 years in the role of president or chief executive officer. In addition, Mr. Myers served on the board of directors of Ocular Therapeutix, Inc. from 2009 to 2012. Mr. Myers currently serves on a number of industry boards.
Senior Vice President and European Managing Director
Philip Ashman, Ph.D. has served as the Senior Vice President, Managing Director Europe since January 1, 2013. Prior to joining us, Dr. Ashman held a number of leadership roles at Bayer from 2006 to 2012, most recently responsible for leadership of the market access strategy in the U.K. for Bayer, covering all therapy areas including Ophthalmology. Prior to this, Dr. Ashman served as Vice President Global Marketing Oncology at Bayer and also as Vice President Regional Business Unit Head (Europe) Oncology, responsible for the delivery of oncology sales and profitability targets in Europe, Canada, the Middle East and Africa. Before 2006, Dr. Ashman held UK-based business leadership positions in AstraZeneca and Sanofi. Dr. Ashman holds a doctorate in biochemistry from the University of London: Royal Holloway and Bedford, U.K., and a Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry from the University College London, U.K.
President and Chief Financial Officer
Richard S. Eiswirth, Jr. has served as President and Chief Financial Officer of our Company since January 2016. Mr. Eiswirth previously served as our Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer from August 2010 until December 2015 and as our Chief Financial Officer from October 2005 to August 2010. From 2003 to 2005, Mr. Eiswirth served as founding partner of Brand Ignition Group, engaged in consumer products acquisition activities. From 2002 to 2005, Mr. Eiswirth served as President of Black River Holdings, Inc., a financial consultancy he founded in 2002. Mr. Eiswirth served as Chief Financial Officer and Senior Executive Vice President of Netzee, Inc., a provider of Internet banking solutions to community banks from 1999 to 2002. Mr. Eiswirth held various positions with Arthur Andersen, where he began his career, from 1991 to 1999. Mr. Eiswirth serves as a director of Celtaxsys Inc., a privately held biotechnology company, where he also chairs the audit committee. Mr. Eiswirth previously served as chairman, audit committee chairman and member of the compensation committee of Jones Soda Co., a Seattle, Washington based beverage company, and as director and audit committee chairman of Color Imaging, Inc., a Norcross, Georgia based manufacturer of printer and copier supplies. Mr. Eiswirth was previously a Certified Public Accountant in Georgia. Mr. Eiswirth holds a B.A. in accounting from Wake Forest University.
Chief Scientific Officer
Kenneth Green, Ph.D. joined us in 2004 as Vice President of Scientific Affairs, and has served as the Senior Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer of our Company since January 2007. Prior to joining us, Dr. Green served as the V.P. Global Head of Clinical Sciences at Novartis Ophthalmics. He has managed ophthalmic clinical development organizations at Storz Ophthalmics, Bausch & Lomb and CIBA Vision. He started his career in the pharmaceutical industry in 1984, as a basic research scientist in drug discovery at Lederle Laboratories, and has since held positions in many areas of drug development. Dr. Green holds a B.A. in Chemistry from Southern Illinois University and a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from Ohio State University.
Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing
David Holland is one of our co-founders and served as the Vice President of Marketing since the founding of our Company in 2003 through August 2010 when he was appointed the Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. Prior to founding our Company, Mr. Holland served as the Vice President of Marketing of Novartis Ophthalmics from 1998 to 2003. In 1997, Mr. Holland served as Global Head of the Lens Business at CIBA Vision and in 1996, Global Head of the Lens Care Business of CIBA Vision. From 1992 to 1995, Mr. Holland served as the Director of Marketing for CIBA Vision Ophthalmics. From 1989 to 1991, Mr. Holland served as New Products Manager for CIBA Vision. From 1985 to 1989, Mr. Holland served as a Brand Assistant and Assistant Brand Manager of Procter and Gamble. Mr. Holland holds an A.B. in Politics from Princeton University.